Wednesday, September 7, 2011

A Yogi is Born!

Dear Friends,

In two days I will be participating in the YTT (Yoga Teacher Training) program hosted by the Greenhouse Holistic.  For many of us yoga changed our lives, made us feel better and look better.  Feeling good on the outside made me feel good inside.  Sounds obvious! But, gradually I realized these spiritual transformations were less mundane than I thought.  Yesterday, I was reminded how the small intentions we make everyday in yoga can change the whole world.  Not just metaphorically but litterally.  A friend of mine, who had never taken Yoga, is going trhough a very difficult time in her life.  Encouraging her to come to Yoga was a big deal for her and she resisted because like many of her troubles in NY, rejections and judgements come in large dozes.  It was easy to explain that while yoga is taught in a class, each person's practise is a personal journey.  To conquer the physical challenges I have to conquer the mental challenges too.  Any negative thoughts, like anger, judgement or dissapointment that I direct to my own energy or to another person always affects my concentration on the simplest of poses.

I assured my friend that not only will she be welcomed in yoga class she will also feel the positive intentions of her fellow yogis.  My friend did come and after an emotional greeting from me, her class mates to her right, left and back (I was in the front) gave her so much encouragement that the whole class was affected.  We were all so joyful, laughing at our teacher's not so funny jokes, gigling at our own blunders and exclaiming the wonders of a painful, really painful hamstring stretch.  The whole class, not just the few surrounding my friend was affected.  If one person can affect twenty, and 20 others affect 20 x 20 x 20 x 20 x20 x 20 x 20 x 20 x 20 x 20 x 20 x 20 x 20 x 20 x20 x 20 x 20 x 20 x 20 x 20 and they affect, well infinitely more people of this world!

No comments: